All-on-4 Aftercare and Cleaning Tips
Missing a full arch of teeth can cause oral discomfort and embarrassment. All-on-4 dental implants replace missing teeth, securely anchoring implant-supported dentures in place and making it possible to eat in comfort and smile with confidence.
After All-on-4 dental implant surgery, patients need to take proper steps to encourage proper healing and reduce the risk of complications. At Dentistry at the Heights, our team explains the importance of All-on-4 aftercare and cleaning and provides tips to our Brooklyn, NY, and Brooklyn Heights, NY, patients.
About All-on-4 Dental Implants
All-on-4 dental implant treatment involves placing four dental implant posts in strategic positions in the jaw to accommodate significant bone loss and provide a strong base for implant-supported dentures to firmly secure within the mouth.
Although All-on-4 treatment makes it possible to avoid bone or gum grafting surgeries, it does require minor surgery. Accordingly, following proper aftercare and cleaning can help reduce risk during recovery and prolong the life of All-on-4 dental implants and implant-supported dentures.
Aftercare Immediately Following Surgery
In the first few days after surgery, it’s important to maintain good oral hygiene while also being careful around all surgical sites. Patients should use a soft-bristled toothbrush on the teeth and gums but avoid brushing where the implants have been placed until the incisions are sufficiently healed. Patients should also:
- Apply ice packs to reduce swelling: Swelling is common in the first few days of recovery. Patients can help reduce swelling by placing an ice pack on both sides of their face for 15 minutes at a time.
- Take medications as directed: Patients may feel some pain or discomfort during this time, too. Pain medications are typically prescribed or over-the-counter pain medications may be recommended and should be taken as directed to manage pain.
- Stick to a soft food diet: Patients should also stick to a soft diet, like yogurt, protein shakes, and mashed potatoes, to avoid irritating the incisions as they heal.
Aftercare In the Weeks to Months Following Surgery
After the initial recovery phase, Brooklyn patients will need to continue to follow proper aftercare for their All-on-4 dental implants. This includes:
- Begin to use a water flosser or floss to gently clean beneath the implant-supported dentures about two weeks after surgery
- Stick to soft foods for about three months or as advised
- Don’t skip follow-up appointments
Cleaning All-on-4 Dental Implants
Although the dental restorations combined with All-on-4 dental implants are artificial, it’s still important to clean them, any remaining natural teeth, and the gums and mouth.
- Switch to a soft-bristled toothbrush: Hard-bristled toothbrushes can scratch and damage the implant-supported dentures used with All-on-4 dental implants, as well as the natural teeth. Avoid scratches or damage from aggressive brushing by switching to a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Brush at least twice a day: All-on-4 dental implants should be brushed just like the natural teeth at least twice a day or as often as needed.
- Brush your gums: The gums should not be neglected after having All-on-4 dental implants placed. They should be brushed along with the teeth.
- Use dental bridge flossers or a water flosser: It’s important to clean between the implant-supported denture and the gums. This can be done with dental bridge flossers or a water flosser.
- Rinse with an antiseptic mouthwash: Rinsing with an antiseptic mouthwash once a day can help reduce bacteria in the mouth and keep the gums healthy.
- Schedule regular dental checkups: Whether one arch of teeth is replaced with All-on-4 dental implants or both arches, it’s important to schedule regular dental checkups to check gum health and to keep your dental restoration at its best.
Learn More About All-on-4 Dental Implants
If you would like more information about All-on-4 dental implants or to find out if you’re a candidate, please call (718) 625-2116 to send a message.